THE TEN KEYS TO SUCCESS AND A GREAT LIFE
By David Pottruck, Former CEO of Charles Schwab
- Get up early. Beat people to the job. That will be your first victory of the day.
- Take the road less traveled.
- Physical energy matters. Find time to exercise for yourself. Have more energy than everyone.
- Plan your resume 5-10 years out. What do you need to achieve these resume points?
- Connect with your passion. What gets you most excited? Focus more on that. (goes back to the idea of “the great teams do a few things really well”)
- Be courageous. Take risks. Ratchet down the likelihood and consequence of failure in your mind. If you believe in it, go for it.
- Learn to triage issues. Cut corners, when necessary. Work smart.
- Share your work with your friends/loved ones. They can provide different insights.
- Take time for things outside your job.
- Intensely focus on self-improvement; yours and someone else’s. Every day.